Saturday, March 24, 2007

Journee de Ski!

Bonjour tout le monde! I am so tired but I promised I would start blogging more and today is a good day to start because it was the Deloitte Journee de Ski (Ski Day!). It was a super fun day.

I of course was running late this morning but met up with everyone about 835 at the office. Actually there were not many people from my team there, but there was a girl Louise I have become friends with from audit and a bunch of other audit people and also some IT people. You could bring guests too so a lot of people brought spouses, siblings etc. So I have been on a lot of ski buses this season so far and this one was VERY posh. Nice new bus with pretty green seats and lots of room. It was lovely. On the bus on the way to Leysin, a few helpful individuals dished out croissants, coffee, pain au chocolat and juice, mmmm! A nice pre-ski brekky!

Leysin is in Switzerland a little bit past the lake when going around it (I think) so it only took about an hour to get there, maybe a little bit more. When we arrived, there was a slight problem. The mountain wasn't there. This is because it was soooo foggy that you could hardly see anything. It went kind of on and off like that throughout the day but for the most part the visibility was absolutely awful. Fortunately there was a ton of snow this week in CH so the snow was really good! None of the runs were even groomed which was verrrry interesting. Lots of steeps though so this was really fun for my snowboarding and good practice! The mountain was almost completely empty so we had the place pretty much to ourselves, which was fun.

At 2pm sharp was the slalom race!! I have never done a slalom before but apparently it is not an option, everyone has to do it and we wear little jerseys to boot. I was number 4 and the second one to go!! My first run was actually really fast and fun. After you get to the bottom, you can watch the rest and yell ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ! (go go go!) and bang your poles etc. We went up for the second run of the slalom and coming around gate 3 I caught a little bit of a bad edge and ooooops je tombe!! I popped back up though and finished the course in record time! (I thought) Turns out I actually came in last place for the women. However, the last place finisher got a nice box of chocolates so this is fine with me!!

We skied a few more runs afer the slalom and then had a quick snack (vino blanco, cheese, dried meat, little tart thingys) and then ended up skiing down for the true last run as the telecabine closed. The last run was very nice and still not groomed but a little bit easier to manage than the other runs in the morning.

Of course there is no better way to end a long day of skiing than with a nice meal. The group of us went to this very cute restaurant (of course they are all cute here made out of logs and super old etc) where we started out with a nice apertif (Kir for me) and vino blanco, then had some bread with this very nice herb butter and dried meat (Notice the theme of the dried meat here) and then a GIGANTIC pot of fondue and there were 4 of them!!! Mmmmm c'est bon!! The fondue was sooo good and filled us all up. After this we had some dessert and tea. It was a really fun meal and I got to know some of my other co-workers which was cool.

We trudged back to the bus and all settled in for the ride back to Geneva (sleeeeeeep). The worst part about the day was getting off the bus to go walk with all of our crap at 11pm to go catch the local bus. Overall though a spectacular day! And tomorrow, tax returns!!

No comments: