Sunday, March 25, 2007

decisions, decisions

By some miracle of technology, the internet is working yet again so I need to post! My problem with the internet is my own little monster and I need to kick it to the curb soon. The problem is, when I moved here, I signed up for Swisscom (essentially the only telephone utility provider in Switz) for phone and internet. However ordering the service on the website was all in German. Even now my french is not great, but I can generally understand what they are asking. German is just its own issue and for some reason my blogger page has also gone Deutsch so I imagine I am going to have a pretty difficult time changing any format or posting photos on here for a while.

In any case, I thought I ordered a modem to go with my internet package. So I stupidly waited around until January and went back and re-read the set up instructions I got later (in English) and realized I am actually not getting a modem. Then last month I tried to buy and install a modem and router but that didn't work. Basically I need to bite the bullet and call Swisscom to come save me, but I have to do so much other admin crap each week like paying a million bills, responding to letters threatening to kick me out of the canton because I didn't have health insurance, etc, and these are all in french so it takes a long time to deal with. Meanwhile I have been "borrowing" a wireless signal but I figure since I am actually paying for internet with Swisscom and don't have it yet, that this is not stealing.

Well I have some issues today. First of all I have no idea what time it is. I think it was daylight savings last night but I am really not sure. They don't advertise with cute little clock cartoons and things like they do in the U.S. I happened to hear about this last night at the journee de ski which is the only reason I think it might be true. My computer seems to have adjusted so I guess I should trust this one. Unfortunately I did not take this into account when setting my alarms last night so I was very proud of waking up early until about 10 minutes ago when I burst my bubble. Shoot.

Also, I need to go to work, and I have a lot to do as it is tax season. My boss has put a mandate that we must send out 60 tax returns by April 15. Which is about 3 weeks away. Any guesses how many have gone out??? It is a difficult process because they all essentially have to go through one manager and if he gets behind (which he already is) we are screwed. So I have to go in and fly through about 5 reviews today.

Also I NEED to do laundry and I'm not sure if you would understand or if I should tell you how desperately I need to do laundry. Recall that I have to haul my clothes 2 blocks down the street to do this so clearly, I have been saying I need to do laundry for about 3 weeks. It has gotten to the point where everything needs to be washed and I don't know what do to. I think I am going to go with sheets, snowboard clothes and pants and the rest will have to wait until later this week. I think I will just go to work first to get it overwith but I have a feeling Sunday night at the laundry mat is going to be verrrry busy. It is going to be a long 2 years of this I can tell you right now.

My last issue is that I have absolutely no food (lucky for me I ate a pound of fondue last night and can probably survive off this for some time). Since it is sunday, and evvvvverything is closed, I'm not sure what to do for making it through the work day. Working on the weekends sucks and requires some kind of motivation, for me this is usually good music and some nice food. But my choices are croissant, kebab or mcdonalds (I refuse) or nothing. I think I will go to work and try to convince someone to order lunch for us.

Well time to hit the shower. Does anyone else think the NCAA tournament is super boring this year? There is a chance, a good one, for it to be 3 #1 seeds and a 2 seed. I think that is really terrible and fortunately I have not really been able to watch the games this year. Vandy...sounds like they got a little hosed but I think they need more tournament experience. Next time they will make it out of the Elite 8!

No comments: