Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tell us bout the boy from New York City



I just got back from a crazy weekend in NY with Justin. And Justin's family, friends, brother's friends, my friends, and random celebrities (Justin's brother had an altercation with Geraldo at the entrance to a men's room).

Highlights of the trip (excluding seeing Justin which was of course THE highlight):

1) The weather. It was so beautiful while we were there. We actually did not have much in the way of summer clothes but it was just warm enough to be nice without making you too hot.

2) Chipotle. Sorry, but it's true. It is impossible to get Mexican here and it was sooo good. Also we had awesome, cheap thai at Lemongrass Grill and NY paper thin pizza which I love. Ok, I won't talk anymore about food.


3) Mets game (against Braves). We saw Glavine vs Smoltz which is pretty cool. We also had Nathan's hot dogs (sad to say they might be better than Wrigley dogs) and lots of beers. There is nothing better than watching a baseball game on a sunny day with a cold beer and someone you love.




4) Surprisingly, the Hotel Chandler. On 31st and 5th, it was not too expensive and pretty nice. You could tell that it used to be a dump and they had refurbished a lot. Some shortcuts were a little obvious (for example, they had really nice tvs, but the remote did not really work too well, and they offered free wi-fi, but it was really slow). However, the bed was really comfy with nice linens, the shower was huge with good pressure and free Aveda shampoos, bathrobes (always a huge selling point with me), and my 2 favorites were the iPod alarm clock so you could plug your iPod in and charge/listen to it all day and also a free New York Times every day!

5) Meeting Justin's friend Chuck, who I have heard a lot about but have never met.

6) Accomplishing my goal of not coming back to Switzerland with any pennies (ok fine, I ended up with 2, but I left them along with my Vanity Fair magazine for Ruben, my bartender at JFK for about 3 hours).

7) Mister Softee ice cream cone with rainbow sprinkles!!

I will say that I was disappointed by Ruby Foo's, where Justin and I had dinner Thursday. Maybe it was the jet lag but the sushi tasted like feet and the waiter was only around until we ordered and then vanished. He left us all the plates and silverware and we actually had to serve ourselves. Annoying. Also I did not enjoy paying tax on top of the stated price. It was very confusing after being so used to just paying the sticker.

Even though it was the same amount of time as he spent in Geneva 2 months ago (in fact, almost to the hour), it felt way shorter. Which sucks!! Why??!!! His flight on Monday left at 3pm and mine not until 730, and from JFK (he was at LaGuardia), so I spent the afternoon reading Vanity Fair and drinking and generally feeling miserable after we parted. In fact I felt so miserable that I bought some new perfume at the duty free shop and 2 books.

I am back in Geneva with 2 suitcases yet to unpack and an empty fridge, as usual. Fortunately, once again I have a guest coming in town right after I see Justin to cheer me up. My friend Aya is coming on her way to India for assignment. Unfortunately since I was just on vacation, I need to work most of the time she is here. But hopefully we can get in a fondue and some gambling...

No comments: