Friday, April 04, 2008

Vampire Weekend

No, those are not my plans for tomorrow. It's a new CD I downloaded after being recommended by a guy I work with, Geoff, after his mate (friend, for those of us non-Brits) recommended it to him.

If you know me, you will know that I am obsessed with music. If you are a random person who has stumbled upon my blog, let me be the first to inform you, gentle reader: I am obsessed with music. I NEED it to function and survive, especially sometimes to get through mundane tasks like my job or cleaning house, and to be my happy self. As much as I love eating, if I had to give up either eating (assuming I would not die) or music, it would sadly be food. I think the iPod is the greatest invention ever for a music lover. What could possibly be better than having your entire musical collection with you wherever you go?! I am happy to report that I have a 4 year old iPod with the black and white screen...I think it was the last model they released before the color one.

Anyway I love music, almost any kind, and concerts, and live music, and finding new music. But unfortunately I live in the equivalent of the dark ages here in Switzerlandin that respect because I have no radio or really anyone who can give me suggestions of new things (or old) I have not heard of, especially because I have a rather limited social circle (and life for that matter).

But I downloaded the self-titled Vampire Weekend CD last night and it is REALLY cool! Apparently they have played on SNL and are playing at the Metro this Sunday, so maybe I am just totally behind the times. I really like it and recommend it.

So anyone have any musical suggestions for me? My tastes are fairly simple:

Generally I like happy, upbeat music (I do not like, for example, scary bands like Korn) and not stuff that is too weird (for example, 8 minutes of a digeridoo). I like also other genres that people often hate like country and I like good old fashioned classic rock. I am ready to spend spend spend on iTunes because I have been dying for some new music lately, so if you have any ideas please pass them my way!

3 comments:

Kathryn and Andy said...

Hi Jac! I understand your musical obsession... here are some of my recent favorites in rotation:
Rufus Wainwright - Want One
Feist - The Reminder
The (International) Noise Conspiracy - any album
And the new REM song on the radio is super catchy.

Tara said...

Hey, Jac - e-mail me when you have time - about the music comment on my blog! taragrosner at gmail dot com.

:)

Miz K said...

New comment on an old post, but as a fellow music addict, I felt the need to chime in! My current play list includes:

The Knife "Silent Shout"
Great Lake Swimmers "Ongiara"
Iron and Wine "Our Endless Numbered Days"
Claire Diterzi "Tableau de Chasse"
Peter Bjorn and John "Writer's Block"

Happy Listening!