Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It just keeps turning up

You may or may not know that I have a strong distaste for: the penny.

Especially now, living in Switzerland where the smallest coin is a 5 cent piece (and you rarely get them), I hate the penny more than ever. When I go back to the U.S., I make it my goal to not come back here with any pennies, even if that means dropping them in the street or throwing them in the garbage. Yes that's right.

So I was shocked to read today that we are giving ol Abe a new look starting next year. What?!Please. I am going to make a plea for 1 and 2 dollar coins and the metric system, but I know those will both fail miserably. But can we please, PLEASE at some point (read: NOW) get rid of the stupid penny!!

I know there is a very good charity or maybe more than one that collects pennies. I have a feeling that most people don't have too strong of feelings towards the nickel either. Can't you start taking those?

Someone at the Tribune agrees with me, and someone running for President also agrees with me.

Who else agrees with me??

If you disagree with me, I ask...will you please take my pennies?!

2 comments:

KateGladstone said...

So ... I'm not the only American who'd prefer the metric system!

Nice to know ... and you may want to consider joining the U. S. Metric Association:

lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/usma.html

I haven't joined yet *only* because I want to buy a lifetime membership, and need to still save up a little to do so ...

Karee said...

My brother is all about the metric system, though his reason is because most chefs use it for food measurement. I do agree though - it makes much more sense! You should check out my brother's blog while he is traveling around Europe - there is a link on my blog right now.

On another note, are you going to be able to vote from there?